In response to the requests for academic recognition of registered apprenticeship training in the state of Wisconsin, the WTCS provides a TECHNICAL STUDIES - JOURNEYWORKER ASSOCIATE IN APPLIED SCIENCE DEGREE. This degree recognizes the goals, general principles and procedures of the WTCS Credit for Prior Learning Policy. The Technical Studies - Journey Worker AAS Degree is designed to support lifelong learning and accelerate the achievement of individual career goals. Transferability of the Technical Studies portion of this AAS degree to four year institutions will be based on the accepting institution’s policies.
Requirements of the Program
- Possess a Wisconsin Apprenticeship Completion Certificate issued by the Department of Workforce Development-Bureau of Apprenticeship Standards registered program which includes a minimum of 400 hours of prescribed apprentice related technical instruction in the Wisconsin Technical College System and 6,048 hours of on the job training super-vised by a journey worker.
- Complete all prescribed WTCS apprentice related technical instruction.
- Possession of the DWD-BAS Wisconsin Apprenticeship Completion Certificate AND successful completion of all prescribed course-work fulfills the 39 credit minimum technical studies requirement of the TECHNICAL STUDIES - JOURNEY WORKER ASSOCIATE OF APPLIED SCIENCE DEGREE.
Requirements for Graduation (60 Credit Hours)
- 39 credits Technical Studies (awarded as advanced standing)
- 21 credits General Studies required from the following:
- 6 credits Communications
- 3 credits Social Science
- 3 credits Behavioral Science
- 3 credits Mathematics and/or Natural Science
- 6 credits Additional from General Studies area
60 credits Total