In this course, students examine laws related to the commercial driver's license (CDL) and the operation of a commercial motor vehicle (CMV). Through simulation and hands-on learning experiences, students explore vehicle systems, inspect and operate a CMV safely, and investigate the operations of a tractor semi-trailer. By the completion of the course, students must obtain a CDL instruction permit.
Become a professional truck driver and earn great wages while enjoying the freedom of the road in a matter of months through Gateway’s new Truck Driving technical diploma. This affordable, 360-hour program covers all aspects of professional driving, including preparation to pass your Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) exam. After graduating, you’ll be prepared to begin a challenging, rewarding career in the high-demand transportation industry. Next upcoming start date is 8/30/21.
- Become a well-rounded driver through detailed training in truck driving laws, maintenance, log book use, trip planning, cargo management, customer service and all aspects of safety.
- Learn from the experts, including a lead instructor with over 38 years of experience and highly skilled staff and recruiters who are eager to help develop your potential as a truck driver.
- Train hands-on in late model tractor trailers and state-of-the-art facilities at Gateway’s Horizon Center for Transportation Technology.
- Earn your CDL after graduation, using the knowledge and skills you’ve learned in the program to become certified to drive commercial vehicles and quickly enter your career.
- Stand out from the competition in the hiring process with a ten-credit, comprehensive technical diploma under your belt and hit the road as a professional truck driver.
Note: Students must be at least 21 years old to begin work as a professional truck driver outside the state of Wisconsin.
Tuition & Fees: $2,490
Books & Supplies: $1,789
Spring, Summer, Fall
Truck Driving Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.