High school students can earn FREE college credit while still in high school. There are many different ways you can earn both high school and Gateway Technical College credit for courses you take as a high school junior or senior. Ask the New Student Specialist in your school for more information, or check with your high school guidance counselor to see what’s offered at your high school.
Ways to Earn College Credit
- Transcripted Credit – Earn high school credits and college credits at the same time. Gateway’s courses are taught by teachers at your high school, using the same textbooks and materials as Gateway’s. For more information, visit the High School Articulation Agreements webpage.
- Advanced Standing – Similar to transcripted credit, but advanced standing credits are not awarded until you enroll at Gateway after high school. You must earn at least a B in your high school courses and your school must have an advanced standing agreement with Gateway.
Click here for the Career Prep-Request for Advanced Standing Credit form.
- Start College Now – High school juniors and seniors gain hands-on training at Gateway campuses in college courses. Start College Now courses are offered only for those courses your high school does not offer. Earn both high school and college credit.
Click here for a list of recommended Start College Now courses.
To apply for Start College Now please complete the online application using the link below. Applications must be submitted to your high school by March 1 for the Fall semester and October 1 for the Spring semester..
Online Start College Now application.
- Distance Learning – Virtual college courses allow you to experience free courses without leaving your school. Video and online tools are used to deliver courses using your high school’s VANGuard classroom.
- Youth Apprenticeship – Many students who’ve completed a state of Wisconsin-recognized youth apprenticeship can apply the education they’ve earned toward a Gateway program.
- Contract For Service – Local high schools contract with Gateway to offer Gateway courses (taught by a Gateway instructor) at the high school or at Gateway in a closed section for high school students only. Common Contract For Service classes include Nursing Assistant, IT, Engineering Design & Development, CNC Machine Tech, Brake Systems, Auto Service Fundamentals, Auto IT for Transportation, Steering & Suspension Systems, Electrical & Electronics System 1, & AutoCAD Mechanical Design Technician.
CFS Application Form 2019-2020
CFS Registration Form 2019-2020