This course is designed to provide skills relating to men?s haircutting. Course competencies include demonstrating draping; Afro haircuts; flat top and crew cut haircuts; fade haircuts; and head shaving. Learners perform four basic haircutting techniques using shears, razor and clippers. Learner will perform a variety of shorthair combination cuts using finger-and ?shear, comb-over-shear, shear-over-comb and freehand techniques. Additional techniques include long-layered haircut techniques; uniform layer haircut techniques; combination cut techniques; short taper cut using finger and shear techniques; short taper cut using shear-over-comb techniques; taper cut using clipper-over-comb techniques; and haircutting for tightly curled hair.
Are you looking for a career with great flexibility, growth and income? Become your own boss with a Barber Technologist technical diploma from Gateway. As a barber, you’ll use your creativity and people skills to improve the lives and confidence of those in your community. This hands-on, two-semester program develops your haircutting, shaving and professional sanitation techniques to fully equip you for a fulfilling career in the hair industry.
- Gain one-on-one training with highly skilled instructors. Use high-quality equipment to develop skills in beard design, haircuts, color and texture services.
- Learn hands-on by working on real clients in the Kenosha Campus Barbering Lab or The Cut Powered by Andis in Burlington, as well as attending professional events such as America’s Beauty Show in Chicago.
- Become a licensed barber. This program prepares you to pass your State Barber License exam upon receiving your technical diploma, so you can begin your career right away after graduation.
- Begin your career in just one year. The Barber Technologist diploma can be completed in just two semesters, with flexible courses offered 5 days a week from 8:10 a.m.- 4:50 p.m. every day.
- Choose your perfect job. With a Barber Technologist technical diploma, you could work as a barber, sales representative, manager or platform artist. With additional certification you can become a Barber Instructor.
Burlington Center, Kenosha Campus
Tuition & Fees: $4,863
Books & Supplies: $1,673
Fall, Spring, Summer
Barber Technologist Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.