This course presents basic baking techniques and convenience baking techniques and procedures related to food service operations. Use and care of equipment are presented. Sanitation and hygiene considerations are reviewed.
If work in a restaurant, catering service or dining hall is on your menu, serve up a delicious career for yourself with Gateway’s Culinary Arts associate degree. Our hands-on training in a state-of-the-art kitchen under the direction of an expert chef will prepare you with skills in purchasing, food prep, sanitation and dining room operation. From the kitchen to the accounting books, you’ll get a full taste of every aspect of restaurant operations.
- Study in state-of-the art facilities on the Racine Campus, which feature restaurant-quality stoves, smokers, combination ovens, walk-in freezer/coolers, and more. The Racine Campus also includes a demonstration kitchen and dining room.
- Develop hands-on skills with more than 400 hours of culinary experience preparing and serving food right on campus through experiences like event catering, fine dining and food production.
- Learn beyond the classroom with the culinary club, field trips, and partnerships with area high schools as we serve up competitions and cook offs.
- Earn a certificate in Basic Cooking Skills, Baking and Pastry Arts or Intro to Butchery & Meat Processing as you work toward your degree.
- Begin a career you love as a line cook, kitchen manager, sous chef or lead baker.
Tuition & Fees: $11,986
Books & Supplies: $4,744
Culinary Arts Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.