This course presents basic baking techniques and convenience baking techniques and procedures related to food service operations. Use and care of equipment are presented. Sanitation and hygiene considerations are reviewed.
If work in a restaurant, catering service or dining hall is on your menu, serve up a delicious career for yourself with Gateway’s Culinary Arts associate degree. Our hands-on training in a state-of-the-art kitchen under the direction of an expert chef will prepare you with skills in purchasing, food prep, sanitation and dining room operation. From the kitchen to the accounting books, you’ll get a full taste of every aspect of restaurant operations.
- Study in state-of-the art facilities on the Racine and Elkhorn campuses, which feature restaurant-quality stoves, smokers, combination ovens, walk-in freezer/coolers and more. The Racine Campus facilities also include a bakery and retail outlet, demonstration kitchen and dining room.
- Learn hands-on with more than 400 hours of culinary experience preparing and serving food right on campus through experiences like event catering, fine dining and food production.
- Expand your palate with study abroad courses to explore international cuisine in global destinations like France and Ireland.
- Broaden your resume and network with statewide competitions at the Wisconsin Restaurant Expo’s College Culinary Hot and Cold Plate competition, and an Iron Chef competition.
- Qualify for a range of jobs. Get work after graduation as a sous chef, cook, pastry baker, manager, or expediter in restaurants, hotels or bakeries.
Elkhorn Campus, Racine Campus
Tuition & Fees: $11,114
Books & Supplies: $4,173
Culinary Arts Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.