This course presents basic baking techniques and convenience baking techniques and procedures related to food service operations. Use and care of equipment are presented. Sanitation and hygiene considerations are reviewed.
If the fast-paced restaurant and catering industry makes your mouth water, serve up your career in short order. In under a year, Gateway’s Culinary Assistant technical diploma will give you hands-on training in the knife handling, baking, butchery and short order deli skills you need to get your first break in an entry-level position. In addition to kitchen skills and menu planning, you’ll also train for commercial, industry-standard operations.
- Study in state-of-the art facilities on the Racine and Elkhorn campuses, which feature restaurant-quality stoves, smokers, combination ovens, walk-in freezer/coolers and more. The Racine Campus facilities also include a bakery and retail outlet, demonstration kitchen and dining room.
- Develop hands-on teamwork skills in the classroom while preparing food for and serving the public with other students as you practice the skills employers want.
- Gain resume-building experience by joining the Culinary Arts club and work with area high schools on cupcake wars, chicken wing cook-offs and chili competitions.
- Get personalized, hands-on learning with small class sizes as you complete this two-semester diploma.
- Earn an education and a living. Get hired in a kitchen with the diploma you’ll earn in a year, or continue your education with Gateway’s Culinary Arts associate degree and related certificates.
Elkhorn Campus, Racine Campus
Tuition & Fees: $5,325
Books & Supplies: $2,058
Culinary Assistant Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.