This three credit course examines child development within the context of the early childhood education setting. Course competencies include: analyze social, cultural, and economic influences on child development; summarize child development theories; analyze development of children age three through eight; summarize the methods and designs of child development research; and analyze the role of heredity and environment.
Early Childhood Education
Does the spark of curiosity in a young child’s eye ignite your passion? Help the next generation of children achieve their fullest potential with an Early Childhood Education associate degree from Gateway. Prepare to teach, care and advocate for infants, toddlers and young children using the latest findings in child mental and physical development, teaching methods, family interaction strategies and public policy.
- Build an interview-ready portfolio to show prospective employers the skills you’ve mastered through rigorous coursework, hands-on classroom training and student teaching experience.
- Learn from expert faculty with advanced degrees and proven experience working in classroom, management and administrative roles for preschools, public school districts and head start programs.
- Flexible course scheduling, including face-to-face, blended and online classes, allows you to organize your classes around your busy schedule while you prepare for Early Childhood Education certification.
- Travel the globe while you learn through life-changing study abroad Service Learning opportunities, with trips to locations that have included South America and Asia.
- Build a stable career with affordable classes to prepare for entry-level position as a teacher, assistant teacher or care provider for children, infants or toddlers with or without special needs in day cares, nursery schools and Head Start programs or in families’ homes.
Racine Campus, Online
Tuition & Fees: $10,055
Books & Supplies: $4,134
Fall, Spring, Summer
Early Childhood Education Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.