This course provides the paramedic student with comprehensive knowledge of EMS systems, safety, wellbeing, legal issues, and ethical issues, with the intended outcome of improving the health of EMS personnel, patients, and the community. The students will obtain fundamental knowledge of public health principles and epidemiology as related to public health emergencies, health promotion, and illness/injury prevention. Introducing students to comprehensive anatomical and medical terminology and abbreviations will foster the development of effective written and oral communications with colleagues and other health care professionals.
If you’re a licensed Wisconsin EMT, Advanced EMT or EMT Intermediate and want to expand your medical skill set, earning a Paramedic Technician associate degree is your next step. Take high-level classes, such as anatomy, microbiology and psychology, to prepare you to perform surgical procedures and administer advanced drug therapies. You’ve worked hard to become an EMT, so be the best you can by gaining expertise in emergency medicine and practices.
- Increase your knowledge of lifesaving skills and advanced emergency assessment techniques through 650 hours of classroom lecture and skills lab and up to 500 hours of clinical and field time.
- Practice lifesaving techniques in state-of-the-art simulated emergency rooms, homes and ambulances on the human patient simulator in Gateway’s HERO Center.
- Continue working as an EMT while attending class. Choose between two flexible schedule options that accommodate shifts typically worked by EMT professionals.
- Begin a rewarding career in an ambulance company, fire department or emergency room. The advanced skills acquired by earning your associate degree make you a valuable asset to potential employers.
- Earn your Nursing associate degree by easily transferring your Paramedic Technician credits. Or, earn your bachelor’s through Gateway’s Paramedic Technician transfer agreements.
Tuition & Fees: $11,177
Books & Supplies: $4,410
Fall, Spring, Summer
Paramedic Technician Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.