In this course, learners build foundational skills and knowledge needed to become an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) candidate, while also meeting all requirements for Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) candidates. The learner examines lifesaving topics including, basic anatomy and physiology, patient assessment, traumatic injury management, airway management, cardiac management and basic medical care. Upon completion of the course, learners will be eligible to participate in the National Registry of EMT's Emergency Medical Responder exams required for Wisconsin EMR certification.
Emergency Medical Technician
EMTs spend their days saving lives by providing emergency medical service and transporting patients to medical facilities. Join our community’s heroes by earning your Emergency Medical Technician technical diploma from Gateway. Gain a strong foundation in emergency medical practice and prepare for certification, so you can begin a rewarding career as an EMT or continue your education to become a paramedic, nurse or other emergency medical professional.
- Develop strong skills needed to assess and manage all types of ailments while providing safe and rapid patient transport. Learn to drive an ambulance, ventilate patients, perform CPR and much more.
- Practice with advanced equipment in Gateway’s HERO Center, including ambulances, simulation rooms and human patient simulators. Gain 180 hours of entry-level training in emergency medicine.
- Become a certified EMT in a matter of months, as completing this one-semester program prepares you to test and credential through the National Registry of EMTs.
- Get hired by a private ambulance company, fire department or hospital emergency room. The need for skilled EMTs is expected to grow in the years to come, so you’ll always be in demand.
- Continue your education by applying your EMT technical diploma toward more advanced emergency medical programs at Gateway, such as Advanced EMT or Paramedic.
HERO Center, Racine Campus
Tuition & Fees: $4,109
Books & Supplies: $1,609
Fall, Spring, Summer
EMT – Emergency Medical Technician Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.