This course will develop the basic knowledge and skills required to troubleshoot, repair and maintain basic electrical/electronic systems that are utilized on today's heavy duty vehicles. Emphasis will be placed on the Direct Current (DC) fundamentals and vehicle charging and starting systems. This course will help the student prepare for ASE certification.
Diesel Equipment Mechanic
Begin a career as a diesel mechanic and help keep our country moving. A Diesel Equipment Mechanic technical diploma from Gateway will get you started in an entry-level diesel maintenance career. Inspect and repair diesel engine vehicles, such as buses, trucks and heavy-duty equipment. Work directly with all kinds of diesel equipment and technology in Gateway’s world-class Horizon Center for Transportation Technology to gain the skills you need to become a diesel mechanic.
- Develop a diverse, high-demand skill set by working hands-on in our Advanced Propulsion lab with DC electricity, braking systems, HVAC systems and the fundamentals of garage operations.
- Work with cutting-edge equipment through our partnership with Snap-on. You’ll explore Snap-on’s most up-to-date equipment, ensuring you learn to use the latest tools and diagnostic devices.
- Earn certifications to help advance your career, including certifications from Snap-on, S/P2 and NC3. You can also earn Gateway’s Diesel Mechanic’s Assistant and Industrial/Mobile Hydraulic Mechanic certificates.
- Begin a rewarding career as a diesel mechanic in as little as one year and earn great wages as you maintain and repair diesel engine vehicles.
- Continue your education by applying your technical diploma credits toward Gateway’s associate degree in Diesel Equipment Technology and gain more hands-on learning to increase your earning potential.
Tuition & Fees: $6,432
Books & Supplies: $2,184
Diesel Equipment Mechanic Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.