The focus of this course is the use of technology in healthcare. Learners use common business software applications, including word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, and databases. Communication methods using technology are addressed. Learners gain experience with using the electronic health record (EHR). Healthcare EHR security issues, social media use, and digital healthcare resources are examined.
Are you looking to thrive in a health care career? Gain the foundation you need with Gateway’s nationally accredited Medical Assistant technical diploma, and prepare to enter the ever-evolving medical field as a medical office assistant. Study hands-on with real-world equipment to master patient-focused work like taking vital signs, drawing blood and giving injections as well as office tasks like scheduling, coding and using electronic records.
- Start a medical office assistant career in as little as nine months by studying full-time on the Elkhorn, Kenosha or Racine campus.
- Small class sizes and hybrid learning ensure you get more individualized instruction in a flexible format.
- Study in medical assistant courses with faculty whose clinical experience as Certified or Registered Medical Assistants includes nursing, laboratory medicine, respiratory therapy, administration and transcription.
- Use the latest real-world technology, such as EKG machines, venipuncture equipment and actual lab test kits in classes that feature simulated learning environments to prepare you for medical assistants’ everyday work.
- Gain hands-on experience employers want with a practicum where you’ll gain 160 hours of clinic experience with a wide range of possible job responsibilities.
- Get certified. Take the American Medical Technologists RMA exam after graduating from the program, which could lead to higher earning potential.
Elkhorn Campus, Kenosha Campus, Racine Campus
Tuition & Fees: $5,556
Books & Supplies: $2,334
Spring, Summer, Fall
Medical Assistant Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.