This course is an introductory course in the latest version of AutoCAD. No prior CAD or drafting experience is necessary. While it would be helpful to have some knowledge of computers, geometry, and design problems, this too is not necessary. This course is designed for students that have had no or very little exposure to CAD. Upon the successful completion of all assigned work in this course, a student should have an understanding of how to create basic geometric shapes and drawings as well as applying dimensions using AutoCAD software. Students will use advanced CAD dimensioning concepts and edit and modify various types of entities, such as dimensions, hatch patterns, and text and output to paper views and drawings. Use of grips, attributes, and Xrefs, menu customization, and profiles are covered. While drawing will be created in this class, drafting is not taught. This course deals strictly with the basic use of AutoCAD software.
Mechanical Design Technology
Use your vivid imagination to create the new products and automated machines that will make a positive future for your community, company and family. With Gateway's Mechanical Design associate degree, you'll master 3D Computer Assisted Design to bring your problem-solving ideas and models to life. Our SolidWorks design training and other computer aided design degree courses will help you launch your career as a CAD technician or any other mechanical drafting position.
- Learn industry-standard software, like Solidworks, AutoCad or CREO-Pro Engineer, in order to develop sketches and layouts, record and analyze data and make calculations and estimates.
- Work with the state-of-the-art technology used by professionals, like lasers, robotics, Programmable Logic Controls (PLCs), pneumatics and hydraulics – along with 3D scanners and printers that let you create true-to-life models.
- Gain the skills employers need by studying drafting, computer assisted design, geometry, linear velocity, kinematics, fabrication and manufacturing with expert faculty who have worked in the field.
- Boost your earning potential with two industry-recognized Solidworks certifications that demonstrate your value to employers.
- Build your network. Access internships that rotate through multiple companies to give you experience with a range of industries and responsibilities.
SC Johnson iMET Center
Tuition & Fees: $10,568
Books & Supplies: $4,341
Spring, Summer, Fall
Mechanical Design Technology Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.