Our computer simulated lab uses innovative software which gives pharmacy technician students the opportunity to learn real pharmacy management scenarios on how to perform day to day tasks. Gateway students learn step by step how to perform the following:
- Add new patients to a database
- Determine possible adverse reactions
- Fill and refill prescriptions
- Examine a patient’s prescription history and add relevant medical conditions
- Identify potential allergic reactions to medications
- Use Case study scenarios that include more in-depth pharmacy tasks such as refill-too-soon, DUR’s, PA’s, inventory, and how to resolve other third party claims and much more!
Simulated labs are combined with hands-on labs to help pharmacy technician students become prepared to work as a pharmacy technician in retail or institutional settings. Our hands-on pharmacy lab scenarios includes:
- Learning how to measure, mix, and count the appropriate prescribed medication
- Simulated working under a laminar and vertical flow hood
- Simulated working with a biosafety cabinet
- Working with Sterile Products
- Filling bottles with prescribed medications and affixing appropriate auxiliary labels
- Perform patient medication safety checks
- How to clean and maintain equipment and work areas and much more!
Pharmacy technician students are able to utilize the skills learned in externships after successful completion of their first two semesters. Students usually complete 162 hours of their externship in a community or clinical pharmacy setting.