Race, Ethnic, and Diversity Studies is a course that draws from several disciplines to reaffirm the basic American values of justice and equality by teaching a basic vocabulary, a basic history of immigration and conquest, principles of transcultural communication, legal liability, and the value of aesthetic production to increase the probability of respectful encounters among people. In addition to an analysis of majority/minority relations in a multicultural context, the topics of ageism, sexism, gender differences, sexual orientation, people with disabilities, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) are explored. Ethnic relations are studied in global and comparative perspectives.
Take your skills as a firefighter to the next level with a Fire Medic associate degree. Explore physical training, advanced firefighting techniques and the latest equipment in Gateway’s state-of-the-art HERO Center in Burlington, WI. Prepare to save lives by increasing your knowledge of important emergency techniques and paramedic procedures. Your exceptional training and expertise will help you stand out as you begin your thrilling firefighting career.
- Stand out in your field by learning all aspects of fire service. This program teaches both firefighting tactics and paramedic techniques to ensure that you’re fully equipped for a fire service career.
- Develop your leadership skills by joining the Gateway Association of Fire Students. Participate in networking activities such as fund-raising, visiting fire museums and attending conferences.
- Train hands-on with professional hand and power tools, hose lines, extraction equipment and other fire and EMS tools. You’ll also train at local fire departments and complete two hospital field studies.
- Learn from the experts, such as experienced Gateway instructors and local fire chiefs. You’ll do more than just listen to them talk – you’ll work with them side-by-side!
- Put your skills to good use after graduation and begin a rewarding career in the fire service industry. Save lives, promote safety and make a difference in the community while earning a great living. You also have the opportunity to transfer to Carthage College with junior status to earn your bachelor’s in Allied Health Science through a 2+2 agreement with Carthage.
Tuition & Fees: $10,900
Books & Supplies: $4,606
Fire Medic Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.