This course prepares the learner to match the brand name and generic name of commonly prescribed medications, determine the pharmacologic classes of commonly prescribed medication, determine the appropriate auxiliary labels to be placed on prescription bottles for commonly prescribed medications, determine if a prescribed medication is a controlled substance and to which schedule it belongs, analyze prescriptions for appropriateness of drug and dosing schedule, and interpret Latin abbreviations used in the practice of Pharmacology.
If you’re a detail-oriented person who likes helping others, a pharmacy career may be just what the doctor ordered. Just two semesters of convenient online and evening classes in Gateway’s nationally accredited Pharmacy Technician technical diploma program will prepare you to help make and distribute medications for patients in hospitals, nursing homes and retail settings. You’ll learn to use the latest technology, interview patients and handle insurance coverage issues.
- Develop the confidence to succeed by working in classrooms that simulate real-world labs with the latest pharmacy technology for managing, compounding, dispensing and packaging medications as well as working in a computer-simulated lab using PioneerRX software.
- Gain in-demand training in sterile technique, a sought after skill in many hospitals, through a 60-hour component required by Gateway and recognized as a PTCB sterile compounding training program.
- Study with expert faculty who bring decades of experience in the pharmacy field as certified technicians to give you individualized support
- Gain the skills you need to get hired with hands-on experience through two 120-hour externships at different pharmacies. Many students go on to find employment at their externship sites.
- Build your network with opportunities to meet area employers during classroom visits, tours of local pharmacies and on-campus mock-interviews.
Tuition & Fees: $5,438
Books & Supplies: $2,252
Pharmacy Technician Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.