This course prepares the learner to match the brand name and generic name of commonly prescribed medications, determine the pharmacologic classes of commonly prescribed medication, determine the appropriate auxiliary labels to be placed on prescription bottles for commonly prescribed medications, determine if a prescribed medication is a controlled substance and to which schedule it belongs, analyze prescriptions for appropriateness of drug and dosing schedule, and interpret Latin abbreviations used in the practice of Pharmacology.
If you’re a detail-oriented person who likes helping others, a pharmacy career may be just what the doctor ordered. Just two semesters of convenient online and evening classes in Gateway’s nationally accredited Pharmacy Technician technical diploma program will prepare you to help make and distribute medications for patients in hospitals, nursing homes and retail settings. You’ll learn to use the latest technology, interview patients and handle insurance coverage issues.
- Develop the confidence to succeed in this pharmacy technician program that simulates real-world labs with the latest pharmacy technology for managing, compounding, dispensing and packaging medications as well as working in a computer-simulated lab using PioneerRX software.
- Gain in-demand training in sterile technique, a sought-after skill in many hospitals, through a 60-hour component required by Gateway’s pharmacy technician courses and recognized as a PTCB sterile compounding training program.
- Study with expert faculty who bring decades of experience in the pharmacy field as certified technicians to give you individualized support.
- Gain the skills you need to get hired with hands-on experience through two 130-hour externships at different pharmacies while you also build your pharm tech network with area employers during classroom visits, local pharmacy tours and on-campus mock-interviews.
- Qualify for PTCB industry certification by earning a state-recognized Pharmacy Technician Fundamentals Pathway Certificate as part of your coursework.
Tuition & Fees: $6,112
Books & Supplies: $2,343
Spring, Summer, Fall
Pharmacy Technician Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.