The Dental Hygiene program is a shared program with Milwaukee Area Technical College. Students choosing to take classes for the Dental Hygiene program at Gateway are able to complete up to 35 credits toward the degree at MATC. Only four (4) seats for the Dental Hygiene program are for this shared program; two (2) for the fall semester start and two (2) for the spring semester start.
To indicate your intent to complete this program complete an Application for Admission. This program has a required admission petition. Students are awarded seats by having met the program petition requirements listed below, and in order of Dental Assistant program acceptance. Students with earlier program acceptance dates for Dental Assistant have priority over students with later program acceptance dates. See our Petitioning webpage for additional information.
In order to petition through Gateway for admission to the Dental Hygiene program, students must submit completion of the requirements:
- Be accepted to the Dental Hygiene Program. This can be done as early as a student knows they are interested in pursuing this degree all the way through the Petitioning process. To apply to the program:
- Earn a cumulative score of 80% or better on the Health Education Systems Incorporated (HESI) A2-1 exam. (Because this exam includes anatomy & physiology, reading and vocabulary, most students complete the following requirement before taking the exam.)
- Students must be a graduate of the Dental Assistant program at Gateway Technical College
- Students must complete the following prerequisites to the Dental Hygiene program with a B- or better:
- 806-177 General Anatomy and Physiology – 4 credits
- 806-186 Intro to Biochemistry – 4 credits (Prereq: 806-134) (offered summer only at GTC)
- 806-197 Microbiology – 4 credits (Prereq: 806-177)
- Submit a Consent to Release Form
Students who have completed the above requirements or have not yet been accepted in the Dental Hygiene program may also complete the following General Education requirements:
801-136 English Composition– 3 credits (Prereq: 831-103)
801-196 Oral/Interpersonal Communication– 3 credits OR 801-198 Speech 3 credits
809-198 Psychology, Intro to– 3 credits (Prereq: 838-105)
809-196 Intro to Sociology 3– credits (Prereq: 838-105)
2 elective credits. Any associate degree course may be taken as an elective
Interested students should contact Dental Assistant Program Director Heidi Gottfried at email@example.com or Dental Assistant Program Advisor Maria Perez firstname.lastname@example.org to review requirements. Consult the MATC website for program and admission requirements. Students will be admitted to the program and receive financial aid through MATC.
For program details and graduation requirements visit: https://www.matc.edu/health_sciences/degrees/dental-hygiene.cfm
To apply: https://www.matc.edu/apply/
After acceptance and prior to petitioning:
This program has a required admission petition. Residency status will not be taken into consideration for selection. Click for details on petitioning.