What is the Promise 2 Finish program?
Promise 2 Finish is a program for returning adult students 23 years old or older who have been out of college for at least two years and have earned at least 12 college credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. It will fill the gap between financial aid received and the cost of Gateway tuition and fees (students are responsible for the costs of books and course materials not covered by financial aid). The Promise scholarship program is made possible through the generous support of the Gateway Foundation and its donors.
It is a multi-year commitment by the college to ensure that all tuition and fees are covered for eligible participants up to $10,500. This comprehensive program places unique requirements on students to be enrolled, and graduate from, their chosen program. Students considering participation in Promise 2 Finish must meet all eligibility requirements, be fully admitted to Gateway and be awarded financial aid by August 6, 2021 to be eligible for the Fall 2021 semester. Space is limited to 110 students.
Additionally, Promise 2 Finish requires participation in a kickoff meeting, Learning Communities, the Gateway to Success course, one-on-one mentoring and the development of an academic plan.
Does Promise 2 Finish include the cost of books or living expenses?
No, the Gateway Promise 2 Finish program is limited to program tuition and fee costs (not covered by financial aid) for full-time enrollment for up to eight semesters. Please see your program’s web page for more specific details about the cost of tuition, fees and books. Courses must be part of the declared program curriculum. The Promise 2 Finish scholarship for tuition and fee coverage is a maximum of $10,500.
What about financial aid?
The Gateway Promise 2 Finish program requires students to apply for and utilize federal and state grants. Promise 2 Finish students must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) annually and be a U.S. citizen, a national or permanent resident of the United States.
Promise 2 Finish support is calculated after federal and state grants are applied, but before loans, federal work study and non-tuition scholarships.
Are all Gateway programs eligible for the Gateway Promise 2 Finish program?
While most Gateway programs are eligible, some programs are not eligible. Please review eligible programs here.
What are the eligibility requirements for the Promise 2 Finish program?
- Be one of the first 110 students who meet all eligibility requirements, be fully admitted to Gateway and be awarded financial aid
- Be 23 years old or older by January 1, 2021 (born before January 1, 1998)
- Must have earned at least 12 college credits with a cumulative 2.0 or higher GPA. Must have been out of college for at least two years (attended prior to August 30, 2019), but have not earned an associate or bachelor’s degree (technical diploma or certificate is acceptable)
- Be a U.S. citizen or a national or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Live in the Gateway Technical College district
- Complete your Gateway application for admission and be admitted to an eligible academic program by August 6, 2021
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and receive a financial aid award letter by August 6, 2021. Use code 005389 for Gateway
- Select an academic program that meets federal and state financial aid eligibility requirements
- Have an annual family earned income of $50,000 or less based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
What if I don’t qualify for the Gateway Promise 2 Finish program?
Gateway welcomes all students to attend the college. With tuition half that of state universities and one-third that of private colleges, Gateway is a high value education option. Look into financial aid, our tuition payment plans and other scholarships through the Gateway Foundation for continuing students.
Will I receive credit for my prior college coursework?
As part of the Admission process you will provide official college transcripts from any prior colleges you have attended. Once you’ve been admitted to Gateway, the college will evaluate transfer credit from regionally accredited institutions. Find out more about transfer credit.
What is Credit for Prior Learning?
Credit for Prior Learning (CFPL) can award you college credit for learning you obtained outside of college through verified assessments by Gateway faculty and content experts. Examples of CFPL could include work or military experience, national exams and advanced placement courses. Learn more about CFPL.
What do students have to do to continue in the Promise 2 Finish program?
- Enroll in a minimum of 15 credits per academic year over the course of at least two semesters.
- Maintain a 2.0 program GPA and financial aid satisfactory progress each semester
- Reapply for financial aid every year
- Participate in the Kickoff Meeting, Learning Community and Gateway to Success course
- Develop an academic plan
- Be actively enrolled in one academic program that meets eligibility for financial aid
What is a Learning Community?
Promise 2 Finish students will all join a Learning Community related to their academic program of study. Learning Communities connect you with a group of your peers in your academic program for focused study sessions, discussion and motivation. Upon acceptance into the program, your Promise Coordinator will provide more details about your Learning Community.
What is the Gateway to Success course?
Gateway to Success is a one-credit, mandatory course for all new Gateway students. It serves as an introduction to all things Gateway, such as student support services, resources, technology, academic success strategies and college expectations. Gateway to Success sets you on the path to graduation by providing a solid foundation for your education, equipping you with the background knowledge you need to achieve big.
I’m not ready to apply yet. When can I apply next year?
We anticipate opening the application for students interested in applying for the Fall 2022 Promise 2 Finish program cohort in January 2022. Please periodically check back for updated 2022 application information.
Please direct any further questions to Gateway Promise Coordinator Sabrina Morgan at 262-564-2362 or email@example.com.