Gateway recognizes that returning students’ past academic work may not be reflective of their current demonstrated ability. Furthermore, past academic work may negatively affect students’ academic standing and ability to reach their educational goals. Under these circumstances, the college may exclude some past grades from certain calculations of grade point average (GPA) and academic progress, hereafter referred to as academic forgiveness.
- At the time of re-entry to the college, the student must:
- have had a two-year continuous break from any credit-bearing coursework at Gateway Technical College. Students seeking forgiveness for only dual credit coursework may apply without a 2-year continuous break.
- have a Gateway cumulative GPA lower than 2.0.
- Subsequent to re-entering the college, the student must:
- be admitted to a certificate, diploma, or degree program.
- have an advisor-approved academic plan.
- have completed at least 12 post-secondary, non-developmental/remedial credits at Gateway within three consecutive academic terms.
- have earned no grade lower than C in any completed course.
How to request Academic Forgiveness
- After you have met the eligibility criteria above, including completing 12 post-secondary, non-developmental/remedial credits within 3 consecutive terms upon your return, submit an electronic application for academic forgiveness.
- The Registrar’s Office will screen your application for eligibility. If you are eligible, you will receive email confirmation.
- Schedule a meeting with your academic advisor within two weeks of receiving confirmation from the Registrar’s Office. At this meeting you will discuss your plans for future academic success and plan your coursework out as far as possible.
- Upon final approval by The Registrar’s Office:
- All grades of D+ and below earned prior to your break in enrollment will be excluded from all of your GPA calculations except those used for financial aid. The courses and grades will remain on your record and transcript.
- Credit will remain unchanged for any courses taken before the point of academic forgiveness if you earned a grade of C- or higher.
- Your total credits for graduation will be based on all program coursework taken at Gateway after re-entry as well as prior coursework with grades of C- or higher and any transfer or proficiency credits awarded.