Academic service learning occurs when instructors use community service to teach course concepts. Students build their understanding and skills through work that benefits the community.
- must utilize active reflection
- involve collaborative planning by students, faculty and community partners
- identify attainable goals that are mutually valuable by all partners
- create opportunities for community partners to co-educate students
- allow students to provide meaningful service activities.
Academic service learning also includes assessment of outcomes for all partners, with project results disseminated publically or to the Impact Program. Below, we’ve included specific resources for community partners, faculty/staff, and students.