What is a 1098-T?
The 1098-T form reports the amount of tuition and related fees that Gateway Technical College received for qualified tuition and related expenses during the previous calendar year. The purpose of the form is to determine if you are eligible for any tax incentives including the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit. For information and questions about the educational tax credit see IRS Pub 970, tax benefits for education at www.irs.gov or contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
When will I receive a 1098-T?
- 1098-T forms will be available by January 31 for eligible students. Students can view and print their 1098-T forms through WebAdvisor. An email notification will be sent to the student’s Gateway email when the 1098-Ts are available.
- Students no longer enrolled at Gateway can also retrieve their 1098-T forms via WebAdvisor. If you do not have access, please call Student Services at 1-800-247-7122.
Why didn't I receive a 1098-T?
You may not receive a 1098-T if:
1. If you paid for the spring term in the prior calendar year, these tuition charges would have appeared on your previous 1098-T.
2. You do not have a valid SSN or address on file. In this case, please bring documentation of your SS# to any Student Services Center and then contact Student Accounts Office at 262-564-2926 to request an updated 1098-T form.
3. You were only enrolled in Adult Continuing Education, remedial or pre-college courses.
I didn’t pay the amount listed on the 1098-T; I was funded by an agency or my employer. Why did I get this form?
This form is sent to ALL students that have taken post-secondary classes who had payments made to their account during the prior calendar year. This would include any financial aid or scholarships applied, and any fees covered by an agency or employer.
I don’t agree with amount on my 1098-T.
The amount on the form includes only payments toward eligible fees. Eligible fees do not include book charges, Adult Continuing Education class fees, remedial classes, pre-college classes, application fee, testing fee or other miscellaneous fees.
The amount may include financial aid grants, scholarships, payments by an agency, employer, Veteran Education Benefits or self-paid funds. If details are necessary, the student should call Student Accounts at 262-564-2926.
If you paid for the spring term in the prior calendar year, these tuition charges would have appeared on your previous 1098-T.
I need my 1098-T immediately, I can’t wait.
Students will be able to view and print their 1098-T via WebAdvisor under Financial Information by January 31.
Can you fax or email me my 1098-T?
We cannot fax or email 1098-Ts because of identity security regulations.
I need help determining what I can claim on my taxes, can you help?
Gateway does not offer tax advice. You should seek assistance from a tax professional.
What about payments I made in older calendar years?
The payment received for qualified tuition & related expenses, (Box 1 amount), shows payments made in the calendar year which just ended. Payments made prior to that year will not be included in the Box 1 amount. They were reported on last year’s 1098-T.