Beginning with the 2015 tax year, Gateway Technical College is reporting the AMOUNT BILLED in Box 2.
Prior 1098-T statements reported AMOUNT PAID in Box 1.
If you register for spring courses in November or December of the prior year that tuition amount will be reported on the prior year 1098-T form. Use the instructions provided by the IRS for educational tax credits when completing your tax return.
What is a 1098-T?
The 1098-T form reports the amount of tuition and related fees that Gateway Technical College billed you during the previous calendar year.
Gateway Technical College reports this information directly to the IRS; therefore the 1098-T is for your information only and does not need to be attached to your tax return.
When will I receive a 1098-T?
- 1098-T forms will be available by January 31st each year for eligible students.
- Students can view and print their 1098-T forms through WebAdvisor.
- An email notification will be sent to the student's Gateway email when the 1098-T's are available.
- Students no longer enrolled at Gateway can also retrieve their 1098-T forms via WebAdvisor. If you do not have access, please call Student Services at 1-800-247-7122.
Why didn't I receive a 1098-T?
You may not receive a 1098-T if:
- You do not have a valid SSN or address on file. In this case, please bring documentation of your SSN and identification to any Student Services Center and then contact Student Accounts Office at 262-564-2926 to request an updated 1098-T form.
- You were only enrolled in Adult Continuing Education, remedial or pre-college courses.
- If you registered for the spring term in the prior calendar year, these tuition charges would have appeared on your previous 1098-T.
- For 2015 only - If you registered for the 2015 spring term in 2014 - these charges will not appear on either the 2014 or the 2015 1098-T form because of the change in reporting methods.
If you have questions about how to compute your educational tax credits, you should consult your tax professional or refer to the IRS. Gateway Technical College cannot provide tax advice.
The following links may be helpful for finding further information regarding the 1098-T forms and tax credits:
IRS Website: https://www.irs.gov/ or https://www.irs.gov/uac/Tax-Benefits-for-Education:-Information-Center
IRS Publication 970: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf
IRS Form 8863, Education Credits: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8863.pdf
IRS Telephone Assistance Hotline: (800) 829-1040