Emergency Medical Technician is a 180 hour entry-level training in emergency medicine. This program provides students the skills and knowledge needed to assess and manage all types of injuries and acute illnesses while providing safe and rapid patient transport to an appropriate medical facility. Components of the course include lecture, practical lab, and hospital clinical experience. Upon program completion, students are prepared to take the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians examination to be licensed as an Emergency Medical Technician in Wisconsin. Students wishing to pursue other levels of EMS licensure, such as Advanced EMT or Paramedic, must first be licensed as an Emergency Medical Technician before being eligible to register in subsequent EMS licensure programs.
Begin a rewarding career of saving lives and promoting safety by becoming a firefighter! Gateway’s Firefighter Technician technical diploma equips you with training required by local career fire departments. You’ll learn by doing at Gateway’s HERO center, training hands-on through workshops, simulations and courses and using cutting-edge equipment. Upon graduation, you’ll be well-prepared to start your fire service career.
- Learn by participating in hands-on training in our HERO Center that covers health and wellness principles, building construction, fire behavior, fire certification courses, and more.
- Network and gain professional experience by joining the Fire Student Organization. Participate in fundraisers, visit fire museums, and attend state and national conferences and seminars.
- Prove your capability to future employers by practicing the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) certification as part of the program.
- Embark on an exciting career in the fire service industry. Become a career or volunteer firefighter, or work in fire prevention, code enforcement, installation, inspection and more.
- Continue your education and apply your technical diploma credits toward a Gateway associate degree, such as Fire Medic or Paramedic.
Tuition & Fees: $5,237
Books & Supplies: $2,007
Firefighter Technician Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.