This course introduces students to the use of a PC. Through hands-on practice, students will manage files, communicate using e-mail, and use the Internet, word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software. Students must use the version of Microsoft Office software in use at Gateway Technical College. Basic keyboarding skills are recommended.
Human Service Associate
If you love helping others and have a strong sense of compassion, a career as a human service associate could be a perfect fit. You’ll work closely with social workers to help clients in need find assistance and resources. The Human Service Associate associate degree program combines courses in counseling, abnormal psychology and ethics with 300 hours of professional field work to prepare you for a rewarding career improving the lives of others as a human service associate.
- Gain valuable experience through 300 hours of field work. Train hands-on in youth shelters, resource centers or nonprofits to learn the skills you need and get a feel for your future career.
- Get involved by joining Gateway’s Human Service club and assist with many projects, including Community Awareness Day, a dance for adults with disabilities and fundraisers to help local agencies.
- Specialize your education by earning Human Service certificates in Alcohol & Other Drug Abuse (AODA), Aspects of Disabilities, Child Welfare and Gerontology.
- Make a difference by beginning an enriching career in human services. Work as a mental health technician, family advocate, case manager or social work assistant doing what you do best: helping others.
- Earn your bachelor's degree in social work, psychology, human services or more by transferring your associate degree credits to one of the many universities with which Gateway has Human Service transfer agreements.
Tuition & Fees: $9,640
Books & Supplies: $4,215
Human Service Associate Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.