Skip to content Skip to navigation

Alcohol & Other Drug Abuse (AODA)

AODA Counselor : The process and how Gateway can help you become a Certified Alcohol/Drug Counselor

If you have questions about anything on this document please contact Paul Zenisek at or by phone at 262-564-2515. 

To earn the Substance Abuse Counselor (SAC) or Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor (CSAC) level of certification it is necessary to obtain 360 hours of education from one approved provider.

Gateway is an approved provider and the 360 hours can be obtained by taking the eight (8) courses below:

  1. AODA Rehabilitation
  2. Psychopharmacology *
  3. Mental Health & Substance Abuse *
  4. Family and Chemical Abuse *
  5. Professional Practices in Human Services
  6. Interviewing Principles and Recordkeeping
  7. Introduction to Counseling
  8. Group Counseling

All of these courses are offered in Racine during the day and night, and in Kenosha at night. Those with an asterisk* are also offered online every semester.

The Department of Safety and Professional Services requires a minimum of an associate degree in an area related to AODA for the Clinical Substance Abuse Counselor certification, but not the Substance Abuse Counselor (SAC). Our Human Services degree meets this requirement. The eight (8) courses above can all be used toward earning this degree. For more information about our Human Services Degree, please call 1-800-247-7122 to talk to a New Student Specialist or check out the Human Services Program page.