F-1 and M-1 Visa Application Process

  1. Schedule an appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a visa interview. This may only be done after being admitted and receiving the form I-20 from Gateway Technical College.
  2. Prepare and gather supporting documentation to present to the visa officer at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate when applying for a student visa. Supporting documentation generally includes, but may not be limited to:
    • Student visa application Form DS-160, completed and signed. Blank forms are available with charge at all U.S. consular offices and may be available online.
    • A passport valid for at least six months after your proposed date of entry in the U.S.
    • One photograph 1.5 inches square (37x37mm) showing full face, without head covering, against a light background.
    • A receipt or payment for the visa processing fee.
    • All three pages of the form I-20, provided by Gateway Technical College after being admitted. The I-20 must be signed and dated (preferably in blue ink) by the applicant at the bottom of page one in section 11.
    • Financial evidence demonstrating that either the applicant or the financial sponsors have sufficient funds to cover tuition and living expenses for one full year with renewable funding available each subsequent year of study. The financial documentation should match what was provided to Gateway Technical College, as listed on the form I-20 in section 8. Financial documentation may include bank statements (with affidavit of support letters as needed), scholarship letters, sponsor employment letters, or other documents showing liquid assets available for educational support.
    • Transcripts of diplomas from previous educational institutions attended.
    • Scores from standardized English tests required by the educational institution, such as the TOEFL, IELTS, ACT Compass, etc.
    • Proof of your binding ties to a residence in your home country which you have no intention of abandoning.
    • Receipt indicating payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee: Complete the form online and supply the necessary Visa, MasterCard or American Express information. Be sure to write your name exactly as it appears on your I-20 form. Print a copy of the online receipt. Be sure to make copies of your receipt to keep with your other important immigration documents, as it may be needed for future visa applications.
    • For applicants with dependents only: Proof of the student's relationship to his/her spouse and/or children (i.e. marriage and birth certificates). It is preferred that families apply for F-1 and F-2 visas at the same time, but if the spouse and children must apply separately at a later time, they should bring a copy of the student visa holder's passport and visa, along with all other required documents.

For more information on obtaining a student visa and the student visa process, visit U.S.A. Visas.