If an applicant currently lives outside of the United States, proof of English proficiency may be demonstrated by meeting one of the following requirements. Scores must be no older than two years.
Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): This recognized test is given throughout the world and is the international standard used to evaluate English level of competency. Visit the TOEFL website for test dates, locations and information on how to register to take the TOEFL.
To have test results sent to Gateway Technical College, please indicate our number, 1255. Gateway requires a score of at least 180 (CBT), or 64 (IBT) for admission.
Gateway also accepts the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). This is a test that measures the language proficiency of people who want to study or work in environments where English is used as a language of communication. Gateway requires a band score of 5 or higher.
A third option to show proof of English proficiency is by taking the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic). Gateway requires a score of at least 43 or higher.
- International applicants may be exempted from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement if they provide proof of citizenship from one of the following countries:
Exemptions TOEFL/IELTS Exemptions Anguilla
British Virgin Islands
Canada (except Quebec)
Grand Turks Island
United Arab Emirates
- Provide proof of Junior or senior level high school coursework from a recognized U.S. High School (not online).
- Attain an ACT Composite Score of 18+.
- Results from the Accuplacer Next Gen of reading and writing at pre-tech level.
- Applying to an Intensive English Certificate.