Search and Apply for Work Study Positions
(through Wisconsin TechConnect)
Advantages of Federal Work Study
The Federal Work Study (FWS) program is a part-time employment program designed to help students meet the costs of attendance. With FWS you:
- keep your educational loan borrowing to a minimum,
- gain valuable work experience and skills in your field of study, and
- maintain a flexible work schedule
Terms of FWS Employment
The FWS award amount is based on your award eligibility, position in which you are hired for, and Gateway Technical College's FWS allocation. Actual earnings are based on the number of hours you work.
- You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session with supervisor approval.
- You are responsible for monitoring your earnings so that you do not earn more than your FWS award for the certification period.
- The hourly rate for all FWS positions is $12.00/hour
Academic Year/Certification Period
The academic year period begins July 1 of the award year, beginning with the Summer term, and ending on the last day of the Spring term.
- when you have been hired by a supervisor in a FWS position and have submitted all required employment documents.
- when you reach your earnings limit,
- when you have received notification from your supervisor to cease working, or
- during any interim period including winter or spring break, or
- on the last day of classes for the Spring term, or
- if you are graduating and will not continue to receive financial aid in future terms, or
- you are no longer eligible and/or no longer receiving financial aid.
How to Apply
- Click the link at the top of this page to be taken to Wisconsin Tech Connect.
- Select Work Study/Student Help at the bottom of the page.
- Browse the available positions. To apply, click the link located in the top right corner of the position posting under Gateway Technical College's address information.
- When prompted, log in using your WebAdvisor username and password.
- Fill out the application completely and click submit. If you are eligible to participate in the Work Study program your application will be forwarded to the hiring manager for review.
- If you are selected for a position the Work Study hiring paperwork will be sent to your student email address.
Unused FWS Earnings
- Unused Summer or Fall term amounts can be earned during the Spring semester.
- Unused academic year amounts cannot be earned after the year has ended
Adding or Declining FWS Award
You have the option to decline FWS awards on WebAdvisor. Contact email@example.com to find out if you are eligible for a FWS award.
Tax Regulations Regarding FWS
All FWS earnings are taxable income and must be reported to the IRS if you are required to file a tax return.