Getting Started as a Transfer Student

Many transfer students from all over the U.S. and even the world have chosen Gateway to continue their education and career training. We’d love for you to join the Red Hawk family, too! Whether you’re transferring to Gateway from another institution in Wisconsin, or a university in another country, we’re here to help make your transition as smooth as possible.

Your next steps vary depending on where you’re transferring from, so here are the best ways to get started as a transfer student from:

A University of Wisconsin college

Many credits earned through the University of Wisconsin system’s two- and four-year colleges transfer directly to Gateway! Explore how your previous UW college credits transfer to Gateway with Transferology. This database is currently being used by all the UW Colleges as well as the Wisconsin Technical College Systems. In addition, you will have access to see how credits from many other colleges Statewide and throughout the US transfer into Gateway.
Instructions on how to use Transferology

An institution within the U.S.

Gateway accepts transfer credits from a wide range of U.S. colleges and universities. Here’s how you can get your transfer credits evaluated:

An institution outside the U.S.

If you have international postsecondary coursework, your transcripts must be evaluated by an educational credential evaluation service that is a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES®) or the Association of International Credentials Evaluators (AICES®). These associations specialize in comparing international academic credentials to U.S. educational equivalents. For students seeking equivalency credits, Gateway requires a catalog match evaluation.

International coursework will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis. Departments may require translated syllabus by an ATA (American Translators Association) certified service for an evaluation of course content and learning outcome assessments.