Gateway Technical College has a long history of successful alumni. We are currently taking nominations for Gateway's Distinguished Alumni Award. Please complete a nomination form if you know an outstanding individual who has shown distinguished achievements in their professional life, exemplary community service or superior leadership accomplishments. Nominations returned by March 15 will be considered for the award which will be presented at the May Graduation.
The Distinguished Alumni Award is presented to Gateway Technical College graduates who have achieved at an exemplary level of excellence in their field, made significant contributions to that field and exhibit outstanding leadership, character, and service.
Most recent recipients of the Distinguished Alumni Award include
- 2018 - Sharbel Maalouf is a 2008 graduate of the Marketing program. Employed by Medline, he was named the youngest Vice-President of Product Development.
- 2017 - Walter Edwards Jr. graduating from Gateway in 2003 with associate degrees in Fluid-Powered Technology, Electrical Engineering, Electromechanical Technology and Automated Manufacturing Systems from Gateway. Walter is employed by GE Medical.
- 2016 - John Kiel is a 1982 graduate of Gateway’s Fire Science Technician associate degree program. He practices law at the law office of John B. Kiel, LLC, in Salem.
- 2015 - Tom Christensen is a 1987 graduate of Gateway Technical College’s Police Science program. He is the administrator for the Village of Caledonia.
- 2014 - Steve Sturycz Jr is a May 2012 graduate of Gateway Technical College’s Marketing and Business-To-Business Marketing programs. He currently is a sales manager with the WD-40 company.
- 2013 - Nate Skewes earned an associate degree from Gateway Technical College’s Fire Science program in 2006. He is a firefighter/EMT for the Waukegan Fire Department.
Previous Years Recipients
- 2012 – Gary Krause
- 2011 – Guy Bradshaw
- 2010 – Randal (Randy) Reusser
- 2009 – Bruce Battersby
- 2008 – Janet Giovannetti