Tentative Travel Dates: May 1-10, 2020 (Dates are subject to change based on airfare)
Participants will travel to Ukraine, the country in the heart of Europe, to experience culture, government, education, leadership, and Ukrainian history in collaboration with local universities in three different regions of the country. Visits to Kiev, central Ukraine, Odessa, the southern port city off the Black Sea shore, and medieval Lviv that borders Poland, will educate you about the cultural, ethnographic, and political diversity of the region. Participants will meet with Peace Corps and tour Chernobyl (nuclear power plant), visit an orphanage, and spend a day with children. Tour Kiev on a Segway, visit museums in Odessa, and learn about the Ukraine’s role in WWII. Open to students, staff, and alumni.
To be eligible you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be in compliance with department and college policies and free of disciplinary action or progressive discipline action
- Have or be able to obtain a valid U.S. Passport by January/February, 2020
Additional eligibility requirements for STUDENTS:
- Be declared in a Gateway Associate Degree or Diploma
- Have completed 6 credits
- Have a minimum grade point average of 2.5 (on a 4-point scale) in declared program.
- Be able to provide two (2 letters of recommendation from Gateway faculty)
- Be available for an interview in November 2019
Additional eligibility requirements for STAFF:
- Have been hired prior to December 31, 2018
- Approved Activity Request from your Dean/Supervisor
- Subject to availability
Successful candidates will have the social maturity to represent the U.S. and Gateway abroad, work well in a team environment, and be able to handle uncertainty.