Men and women today are shattering the age-old barriers set before them in gender-dominated careers. A non-traditional occupation is defined as any occupation in which women or men comprise less than 25 percent of the workforce. Some examples include women in automotive, electronics or welding careers, or men in education, nursing or cosmetology careers. Gateway is here to assist you through a variety of resources to ensure you can pursue a career in a non-traditional occupation.
The Non-Traditional Occupations (NTO) program will help you recognize all career opportunities, unrestricted by social or cultural expectations. The program provides career exploration and preparation, case management and job readiness services.
Follow your strengths and passions: explore a career outside the box!
Why pursue a non-traditional career?
- Many are in high-demand career fields
- Graduates earn 20-30 percent more than traditional jobs
- These industries typically provide excellent benefits packages
- Career training can take as few as 18 months
- You’ll gain the ability to support your family on a single income
- Upgrade your skills from underemployed to solid wages
- Gain a sense of empowerment and the realization that you can do anything you set your mind to by breaking gender norms
The NTO program offers many ways to help you achieve your goals. It can:
- Help you set up a career plan
- Provide access to career counseling and career skill workshops
- Link you with working professionals to give you insight into your future career
- Develop a personal career development plan
- Connect you with other students of the same gender seeking the same career
- Provide you with employment resources
- Assist in resume and portfolio building, networking and interviewing