Begin a career a cut above the rest through a Cosmetology Apprenticeship. You’ll make clients feel great about themselves by providing services related to all kinds of hair treatments, from cutting to styling to coloring. You’ll also give manicures, pedicures, facials and scalp treatments, as well as advise your clients about hair care. Gain the responsibility and accountability to keep your work area and tools clean and sanitized, and keep track of your clients records and appointments.
- Train for just two years with combined work on-the-job and in the classroom, totalling over 4,000 hours.
- Begin a rewarding career with no student debt--in fact, you’ll get paid to attend classes!
- Upon completing the program and passing the Cosmetology State Board exam, you’ll become a licensed cosmetologist, ready to continue your career and pursue your passion for hair.
You must be in good physical health and able to stand for long periods of time, possess finger dexterity and a sense of form and artistry and be able to work well with the public.
Get started as a Cosmetologist Apprentice
- To begin identifying or planning your apprenticeship, contact the local Apprenticeship Training Representative at 262-564-3210.
- If an employer wishes to hire you, he/she will submit an apprentice application to the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development (DWD). If the DWD determines that you meet the Bureau of Apprentice Standards qualifications, you will be given a credential notice.
- You and your employer will submit the credential notice, the Apprentice Application (Form #1488) and fee ($10.00) to the Department of Safety and Professional Services, P.O. Box 8935, Madison, WI 53708-8935.
- The Department of Safety and Professional Services will issue the apprentice permit after the application is approved. You may begin to work after your permit is issued. Your permit will be valid for three (3) years.
- Once your contract is in place Gateway’s Apprenticeship department will communicate with you regarding registration, classes and books.
If you need assistance getting started, Gateway’s Apprenticeship Department is happy to help.