(l-r) Students Michael Schmidt, Caesar Garcia, Mark Short,
Michelle Sauceda, Maria Rosalez and adviser Pam Hillman.
Two Gateway Technical College students both took home first-place and second-place honors at the Business Professionals of America Spring Leadership Conference in Green Bay Feb. 20-Feb. 23.
Gateway student Caesar Garcia (Kenosha) won first place in PC Servicing/Troubleshooting and Interview Skills events, while student Mark Short (Kenosha) placed first in Insurance Concepts. Garcia also took second place in Computer Network Technology and Computer Security while Short took second in College Payroll Accounting.
Garcia and Short were part of a strongly competitive, five-student group from the student BPA Kenosha Chapter who participated in the event. Short received several other accolades, including being elected to the office of president of the Wisconsin BPA Association after serving as its vice president for the previous year.
Other highlights include:
- Michelle Sauceda (Kenosha) placed second in Fundamental Spreadsheet Applications and fifth in Advanced College Accounting. She was also awarded honorable mention in Interview Skills.
- Short and Sauceda competed as a team in Financial Analysis and placed third.
- Sauceda received the Mike Tokheim Scholarship and was recognized as a chapter Excellence Member.
- The Kenosha Chapter was recognized with a BPA Cares award in marketing and public relations.
- Garcia, Short and Sauceda were recognized with Torch Awards. The BPA Cares and Torch Awards programs guide members in leadership and service to their community and chapter.
At the state event, students competed in the areas of information technology, accounting and administrative professional skills. Additionally, students had the opportunity to compete in interview skills and public speaking. Students were judged by industry professionals who are able to also share their expertise with students.
BPA is the national career/technical student organization for students preparing for careers in the business field.
Garcia, Short and Sauceda are now preparing for the national BPA leadership conference to be held in Indianapolis April 30-May 4.
For more information, please contact adviser Pam Hillman, (262) 741-8470.