Gateway Collegiate DECA team member Mary Hvizdak captured two first-place honors at the 55th Wisconsin Collegiate DECA annual Spring Competitive Events Conference held Feb. 23 to Feb. 25 at Lake Lawn Lodge in Delavan.
Hvizdak (Sturtevant) captured first place in the Professional Sales and Sales Management Meeting categories. In addition, Gateway student Mark Short (Kenosha), who had captured first place in six different categories at the student Business Professionals of America competition the prior weekend, captured first place in the Accounting event at the Collegiate DECA competition and qualified for the national event in the Professional Sales category.
Student Jordyn Favre (Kenosha) took honors in two events, as well – capturing first place in Advertising Campaign, and second place in the Sports and Entertainment Marketing team event with teammate Lauren Boston (Kenosha). Boston was also a finalist for the Wisconsin Collegiate DECA Student of the Year competition.
Other Gateway team members who took first place honors:
- Jacob Powell (Kenosha), Banking Financial Services
- Ryan Bognar (Wind Lake), Emerging Technology Marketing Strategies. Bognar was elected to serve as the 2017-18 DECA state president.
Students capturing second-place honors, and the event they competed in:
- John Neu (Burlington), Accounting
- Ashley Dumas (Sturtevant), Restaurant and Food Service Management
- Sergio Casillas (Racine), Sales Management Meeting
- Samantha Perez (Pleasant Prairie), Wisconsin Collegiate DECA Student of the year competition
- John Gauthier, DECA Diamond Award Service Award
Several Gateway students were finalists and qualified to compete at the international conference in the following events, as well:
- Violeta Tellez (Lake Geneva), Hotel and Lodging & Professional Sales
- Casillas, Sales Management Meeting
- Heather Rupp (Caledonia) and Yesenia Martinez-Hall (Trevor), Event Planning team event
- Kristen Pincus (Salem), Professional Sales and Retail Management
- Kayla Mumford (Kenosha), Professional Sales and Marketing Management
- David Czuper (Racine), Professional Sales and Travel and Tourism
- Perez, Restaurant and Food Service Management
- Diana Griego (Union Grove), Fashion Merchandising and Marketing & Professional Sales
- Angelena Savaglio (Kenosha), Fashion Merchandising and Marketing
- Powell and Robert Neal (Salem), Advertising Campaign team event
- Neal, Human Resources Management
- Rupp, Professional Sales
- Dumas, Professional Sales
- Bruce Townsel (Kenosha), Professional Sales and Marketing Management
- Bognar, Marketing Management