Gateway Technical College will host the annual EcoFest Racine, a community event to share and celebrate sustainable practices, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 16 in the Lake Building on the college’s Racine Campus, 1001 S. Main St.
The event will focus on providing activities and ways community members can be gentle on the environment at work and home. It features informational displays, 20-minute informational presentations and children’s activities. Admission is free and each family attending will receive a free gift.
Some of the highlights include:
- Presentations. A few of the many presentations to be offered include composting, “greening” your home, healthy homemade salad dressing and do-it-yourself green household products.
- Children’s activities. Hands-on activities will be available for the little ones, including craft activities using natural elements such as seeds and flowers, as well environmental displays, to name a few.
- Display booths. Green vendors and display booths stationed in the Lake Building will give visitors the information to live more sustainably as well as information on practices being already done in Southeastern Wisconsin.
- Electronics recycling. Gateway’s Information Technology program students have partnered with an area professional electronics business to accept all electronic devices for recycling. That includes such as items as desk and laptop computers, monitors (2005 and newer), cell phones and personal electronics, to name a few. All items are free. Drive-up drop off will be located on the east side of the campus in front of the Technical Building.
- An eco-focused art exhibit from the Vital Art Project.
For a guide to all activities for the day, please go to www.gtc.edu/ecofest. For more information, please contact Abbie Ford, (262) 564-2536.