Program Requirements: Electrical Apprenticship Program Courses
An electrician will read blueprints for home building usage as well as install materials for transmission of electricity to equipment for lighting, heating, and cooling. They may bend, fit, and fasten conduit inside partitions, walls or other concealed areas. The electrician may also be required to repair existing wiring and fixtures and inspect installations for conformity of electrical, fire, and safety codes.
Pay Scale: $13.34 - $35.77
Electricians work both alone and around others, indoors or outdoors. Surroundings may be noisy and dirty due to construction activities. Electricians frequently work from high ladders and scaffolds and occasionally make installations in cramped quarters. Possible injuries can result from falls, cuts, electrical shocks, and burns.
Must be physically able to perform job.
Must be 18 years of age and be a high school graduate or equivalent with one year of high school algebra. Must pass aptitude test, personal interview, and submit an application.
Length of training
The training contact is for five years consisting of no less than 8,000 hours of on-the-job training with a minimum of 680 hours of classroom instruction including some night classes.
Becoming a Construction Electrical Apprentice
- Go to Local Union Hall and fill out application.
Kenosha Electrical Union
3030 39th Avenue
Kenosha, WI 53144
Racine Electrical Union
1840 Sycamore Avenue
Racine, WI 53406
- Have High School Transcripts sent to the Union Hall.
- Transcript request forms available at the Union Hall.
- One year High School Algebra - equivalency available. If coursework is needed check Gateway semester schedule for Algebra / Pre Technical course number 854-761.
- Pass basic reading, writing, and math test that is required per application. Testing information available from the Union Hall.
- The Apprenticeship Committee will setup interviews for candidates that have passed test and have high school transcripts on file. Interviews are scheduled twice a year in Kenosha and Racine.
- After being interviewed, your name will be placed on a ranked list of eligible candidates.
- Apprenticeships are offered, in order, to the highest-ranked candidates on the list.
- Once hired by a contractor, Gateway Apprenticeship Department will be notified that you are an apprentice.
- Gateway Apprenticeship Department will notify you regarding registration, classes, and books.