Through the work of Gateway’s veteran student support specialist, all veterans, veteran’s spouses and veteran’s dependents will began and experience the journey to their success, providing that consistent wraparound service to Gateway’s service members and their families.
The specialist position is housed within Gateway’s Student Success division and serves all three counties in the Gateway District – Kenosha, Racine and Walworth.
This office will support veterans, their spouses and families in a number of ways, including helping them determine which services they need to succeed – and then directing how to engage in them – including:
- Student Finance
- Academic Advising
- Computer Tutorials
- Remediation Services
Meeting other needs of veteran-students
The veteran student support specialist will also facilitate and assist in other Gateway efforts to meet the needs of student veterans.
- Serve as co-chairman to the student veteran’s club, which is sanctioned by the Students Veterans of America and operated by elected current Gateway students
- Provide volunteer services to local and county veteran functions and workshops
- Help oversee Gateway’s Brown Bag Lunch series for veterans who are students or considering to enroll in college.
- Be a resource to connect veterans to the veteran’s lounge on the Racine Campus, a specific area for veteran-students to use for studying or connecting to other veterans.
Referrals or walk-in services will be provided to veterans to the many divisions within the Student Success Department. Services for needs such as:
- Disability support
- Support counseling
- Financial aid
- Student finance specialist
- Academic advising
- Learning center support
Specialized accommodations or specialized equipment will be made for required students, tutoring, testing, career counseling, employment counseling as well as support services to federal, state, county and local veteran services and programs.