Begin a rewarding career installing, maintaining and repairing heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems. You’ll work with furnaces, hydronic heating, commercial and residential refrigeration systems and more to understand the operating principles of different systems and even specialize within the trade.
- Earn more than $26 an hour as an established HVAC technician.
- Over 9,000 hours of blended on-the-job and classroom training provides a solid foundation for your HVAC career.
- Begin a rewarding career with no student debt – in fact, you’ll get paid to attend classes!
You must be in good physical condition, able to work in cold or hot weather, heights and cramped spaces. You must also be at least 18 years old and a high school graduate or equivalent, have a valid driver’s license and pass an aptitude test.
Get started as a HVAC Apprentice
- Go to the ABC of WI Apprenticeship Office to pick up an application or fill out an application request online.
- Achieve a passing score on algebra, arithmetic and reading portions of the Accuplacer test. The Accuplacer test is available at Gateway’s Kenosha and Racine campuses and the cost is $15. Contact the Testing Center to schedule an appointment at 262-564-2542.
- You will receive a letter of introduction and a list of ABC of WI approved apprenticeship trainers for HVAC. Your letter of introduction should be presented to local ABC of WI approved apprenticeship trainers when applying for apprenticeship jobs.
- You must find an ABC of WI-approved trainer to hire you before you can become an apprentice. Once hired, you will be invited to meet with the Apprenticeship Committee for final approval and to sign your contract.
- Once your contract is in place Gateway’s Apprenticeship department will communicate with you regarding registration, classes and books.
If you need assistance getting started, Gateway’s Apprenticeship Department is happy to help.
50-401-9 HVAC Apprentice Curriculum Sheet.pdf
Career Pathway Map:
HVAC Apprentice Career Pathway Map.pdf