Skip to content Skip to navigation

Credentials Offered

Gateway Technical College Credentials

Associate Degrees, Technical Diplomas, and Advanced Technical Certificates

The Gateway Technical College District Board has the authority to grant associate degrees, technical diplomas, and advanced technical certificates to graduates of occupational programs approved by the Wisconsin Technical College System Board.

Gateway Certificates

The Gateway Technical College District Board may award District certificates to students who complete a specific course or group of courses. Certificates are designed to help students gain entry level employment in specialized areas or to qualify for occupational advancement. Students must apply to the certificate program and complete a Certificate Completion form to receive a certificate.

Adult High School Diploma

Gateway’s Adult High School program is designed for people eighteen years and older who want to obtain their high school diploma. Public school districts in Kenosha, Racine, and Walworth counties cooperate in this program. It is possible to earn credit through proficiency testing and by evaluation of prior life/work experiences. Students enrolled in associate degree or technical diploma classes may also receive high school credit for them. The Adult High School counselor in Student Services can give you more information on obtaining a high school diploma through Gateway. Note: Students dually enrolled in adult high school and postsecondary courses are not eligible for financial aid.

General Education Development (GED®)

Students can earn their GED by passing the official GED Testing Service tests. Subjects include Writing, Reading, Social Studies, Science, and Mathematics. Prior to testing, students must complete an orientation (890-721) through the Adult Learning Center. GED instructors can pretest in all five testing subject areas. Practice tests are available in selected subject areas. GED teaching strategies include small group instruction, computer-assisted learning, self-guided exercises and assignments, and one-on-one tutoring. Non-resident fees may apply.

High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED)

An HSED may be completed in several ways. Many students decide to complete their HSED through GED testing and completion of Health, Civics, Career Awareness, and Employability Skills. An HSED may also be obtained through the completion of high school credits, postsecondary credits, or competencies. Students may also be eligible to receive an HSED if they have been granted a diploma from a foreign country. Students interested in pursuing an HSED should have their official high school transcripts sent to the Admissions Office for review. All HSED participants must take an orientation (890-721) prior to starting the HSED program. Nonresident fees may apply.

English Language Learner Program (ELL)

ELL is designed to prepare students whose first language is other than English to speak and understand the English language. Students will improve their speaking and listening, grammar and writing, and reading and vocabulary skills and learn about health, community, government, consumer education, and employability skills. Large and small group instruction, computer-assisted learning, self-guided exercises and assignments, and one-on-one tutoring are utilized. Nonresident fees may apply.

Life is Big. Be Prepared.