SALT Financial Literacy
Sign up for a free online resource that helps students finance their education, manage any student loans, and build personal finance skills. For more information or to sign up for SALT visit our SALT Financial Literacy webpage.
SALT can help you with:
- Tracking and planning your student loans
- Managing student loans and repayment options
- Creating a manageable budget
- Credit and debt management
- Saving and investing
- Finding scholarships, internships, and jobs
Dependent Verification Worksheets Now Require a Parent's Wet Signature
With the exception of the FAFSA, all dependent students parent's paperwork must be signed by hand. Due to Gateway Technical College's policy updates, a parent cannot electronically sign any required verification paperwork. All original forms, paperwork and worksheets signed by a parent can be handed in at Student Services.
- A dependent student is anyone under the age of 24 required to report their parent's information on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) form.
Changes to Loan Disbursements
Federal regulations now require Gateway Technical College to make multiple disbursements of student loans each semester. If you are receiving loan funds, this means half of your loan funds for each eligible semester will be applied to your student account on the first disbursement date and the second half of your loan funds for the semester will be applied to your student account on the second disbursement date. This change does not apply to grant disbursements.
Please take this adjustment into account when making financial plans. If you are due a refund of loan funds after any remaining balance due to Gateway is paid, you will either:
- Receive a portion of your refund on the first disbursement date and then a second and final portion of your refund on the second disbursement date if the first disbursement of your loan funds is enough to cover all remaining charges at Gateway and a refundable balance exists after the first disbursement is made
- Receive a refund on the second disbursement date if the first disbursement of loan funds was not enough to cover all remaining charges at Gateway
The timing of refunds and the dollar amount of refunds are dictated by each student's particular balance due and financial aid award. Please review the award amounts provided on WebAdvisor compared to the charges on your account to determine the timing and dollar amounts of any refunds. As multiple loan disbursements are a federal requirement, no exceptions can be made to the timing of disbursements for any reason.
Please view the Important Dates section to view disbursement dates for each semester.
Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG) Name Changed to Wisconsin Grant (WG)
The Wisconsin Higher Education Grant (WHEG) has changed its name to the Wisconsin Grant (WG). There are no notable changes in eligibility requirements or grant amounts. For more information regarding the Wisconsin Grant please visit www.heab.state.wi.us/programs.html.