The focus of this course is the use of technology in healthcare. Learners use common business software applications, including word processing, presentation, spreadsheet, and databases. Communication methods using technology are addressed. Learners gain experience with using the electronic health record (EHR). Healthcare EHR security issues, social media use, and digital healthcare resources are examined.
Health Information Technology
Want to help patients but prefer to stay behind the scenes? Take heart: with the rise of technology and data across healthcare fields, demand for qualified medical staff is alive and well. With the medical records field expected to grow, Gateway’s Health Information Technology associate degree prepares you for an in-demand career utilizing healthcare data and electronic health records.
- Gain the skills needed to succeed through lecture, laboratory and virtual lab experience before completing a 106-hour hands-on professional practice experience in a real-world medical setting.
- Boost your earning potential when you ace the National Registration Exam for Health Information Technicians. Gateway’s program boasts a 90% pass rate, compared to the national average of 75%.
- Exclusively online course scheduling lets you secure yourself a future in a variety of medical fields by working while you complete your classes.
- Build your resume through opportunities including professional certificates, Service Learning courses, volunteer options and internships.
- Prepare yourself to transfer into a 4-year program that will give you access to management roles.
Tuition & Fees: $10,351
Books & Supplies: $4,543
Health Information Technology Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.