Students acquire the skills to safely operate a chainsaw in the arboricultural industry. Emphasis is placed on identifying the importance and adopting the methods of personal protective equipment, safe chainsaw operation, routine maintenance, and common chainsaw cutting techniques in accordance with best management practices and current industry standards. Students will develop chainsaw skills in a variety of field exercises that focus on techniques used in tree pruning and removal, including the by-pass cut, open face notching, bore cutting, and wedging.
Arboriculture/Urban Forestry Technician
Think outside the office! With an Arboriculture/Urban Forestry Technician associate degree from Gateway, the great outdoors will be your workspace as you use your knowledge of natural resources and cutting-edge industry technology to care for trees in an urban environment. Become an arborist or urban forestry technician through hands-on, outdoor learning. Discover how to manage tree health, diversity and the sustainability of an urban tree population to better care for your local environment.
- Gain specialized training through a natural resource education that covers all aspects of caring for trees, including climbing, safely using equipment and tree maintenance from planting to removal.
- Learn to manage natural resources, including forestry, fisheries, wildlife, waters and soils.
- Acquire high-demand skills. Trees never stop growing. As many cities plan to plant more trees, careers for arborists are growing. Walk into a career with great wages and job stability!
- Get certified as a Pesticide Applicator and learn to safely and legally apply chemicals to outside properties. A two-credit course prepares you to take the Wisconsin State Pesticide Applicator exam. Upon graduation and following 2 years of employment, you will also qualify to sit for the International Society of Arboriculture Certified Arborist Exam.
- Begin a fulfilling career outdoors as an arborist and plant, maintain and care for trees, or as an urban forestry technician and advocate for forests by showcasing their value for urban areas.
Tuition & Fees: $10,639
Books & Supplies: $4,826
Arboriculture/Urban Forestry Technician Career Pathway
Career Pathways are designed to help you reach your educational goals and explore college and career options. Pathways are made up of related certificates, diplomas and degrees that build on common skills and knowledge. You can begin at any point on the Career Pathway and customize your pathway to fit your goals. View the pathway for your area of interest.