Knives and proper knife skills are important for chefs. Each knife has its function in order to make the chef's job easier.
- Carving knife- used for carving meats
- Bread knife- used for slicing loaves of bread
- French knife or Chef's knife- used for chopping, cutting, dicing and mincing
- Boning Knife- used for removing bones in fish, meat and chicken
- Paring knife- used for removing seeds, and chopping and and peeling
Mirepoix is the mixture of chopped onions, celery and carrots and is used as the basis to flavor many dishes.