It is estimated that only 20% of available jobs are openly advertised, meaning 80% of jobs are filled by companies who never advertised the position.
Instead these positions are filled by referral, the "who do you know" method of recruitment. So while keeping an eye on newspaper advertisements and internet job search sites is important, the percentages are in your favor if you investigate the hidden job market. To penetrate this “Hidden Job Market” consider following these steps:
- Define the geographic area where you would accept work
- Search for companies that match your focus. Grow your list of employers by researching your career and how it fits into various industries such as:
- Mail, email, or drop off (cold call) an unsolicited resume and cover letter to the employer indicating that you understand they may not be looking for job candidates at this time, but you want them to know of your interest.
- Keep accurate records of job search
- Follow up with each employer within one to two weeks by mail, e-mail, phone, or even in-person to inquire about job opportunities.