In accordance with the Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act, Gateway Technical College provides a wide range of services that assist students with special needs in reaching their educational goals. Reasonable accommodations will be made for students with documented disabilities. Gateway Technical College’s intent is to provide equal access to programs and facilities at no additional cost and on all campuses.
To best facilitate support services, students should:
- Contact the special need counselors prior to the semester and provide documentation of the disability.
- The counselor will verify the documentation, complete the 504 plan and refer the student to the special needs instructors.
- The Special Needs Instructors, along with the student, determine the accommodations based on the documentation on file.
Accommodations may include, but are not limited to:
Alternative media/assistive technology
- Electronic text
- Large print
- Dragon naturally speaking
- Zoom text
- Alternate testing
- Ergonomic Equipment
- Liaison with instructors, staff and outside agencies
*Tutoring is not a Special Needs Accommodation as this support service is provided to all Gateway Technical College students.
- Referral to Special Needs Counselor
- Accommodations for Placement Test
Additional services not required by ADA, but may be provided:
- Case management
The student with disabilities must meet with the Special Needs Instructor each semester to receive and continue accommodations. It is the responsibility of the student to notify the special needs instructor when these accommodations are necessary throughout the semester and this plan can be changed or modified as the need arises. The student may reserve the right not utilize these services.
When do Special Needs services begin?
Special needs support services begin when the student’s documentation is in place and the accommodation plan has been written and signed by the student and SN Instructor. Services are not retroactive and accommodations will not be provided until documentation has been received and evaluated.
*Please note that we do not provide personal attendant care or transportation.