Gateway Technical College students often bring their own laptop, notebook or tablet computers with them to class or to aid in studying. Some Gateway academic programs are requiring that students have a laptop or tablet. This FAQ is meant to provide some basic answers to the most frequently asked questions about using your own computer at a Gateway facility.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I re-charge the battery on my laptop?
Classrooms are equipped with enough outlets or power strips to accommodate re-charging your laptop battery.
Are Gateway Technical College students able to purchase discounted software?
Yes! Please go the http://wiscsoftware.wisc.edu/wisc/ website and select Gateway from the WTCS Students pull-down menu on the left side of the screen. Both Windows and Mac software are available for purchase at this website.
I understand that all Gateway Technical College students are required to have updated virus protection installed on their laptops. If I do not already have virus protection software, where can I get it?
You can find free virus protection software at http://wiscsoftware.wisc.edu/wisc/ for both Windows and Mac computers. Select Gateway from the WTCS Students pull-down menu on the left side of the screen and scroll down to Free Antivirus Software.
Is any technical support available for students in the case of software problems?
According to Gateway Technical College guidelines, Gateway Lab staff is not authorized to repair or remedy problems on a student’s personal laptop. If available, Gateway Lab staff may provide the following, limited support:
- Assist with logging into your student email
- Assist configuring your laptop for wireless access
- Assist with instructions for virus protection on your laptop
Is any technical support available for students in the case of hardware problems?
Students are directed to local vendors or to their computer manufacturer for hardware support. According to Gateway Technical College guidelines, Gateway Lab staff is not authorized to repair hardware problems on a student’s personal laptop.
How do I gain access to Gateway’s wireless network?
Please follow the directions below.
What do I do if I am unable to log in to the wireless network or if I am frequently disconnected from the wireless network?
Please let your instructor know about the problem you are experiencing and she/he will contact Gateway’s networking team.
Connecting to Gateway’s Student Wireless Network
In order to eliminate the need for students to continually login to access Gateway’s wireless network we have implemented a new system called XpressConnect by Cloudpath Networks. XpressConnect is designed to assist students in setting up their personal devices to access Gateway’s network securely. You will not need to run XpressConnect every time you come to Gateway, once the setup is run your device will automatically connect to the secure wireless network no matter what campus
The XpressConnect software supports Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac OSX, iPhone/iPad, Android devices, and
- Connect to the GTC-Guest network and open a web
- Click the student link.
- The XpressConnect wizard will start, check the box to accept the license agreement and click Start.
- Enter your Student ID number and password, click Continue.
- After continuing you may get a "User Account Control" pop-up asking if you wish to allow changes to be made, click Yes. Mac users will be prompted to enter their Mac password to authorize the changes.
- When the wizard completes you will be connected to the "GTC-Wireless" network. This is Gateway’s secure wireless network. Anytime you are at a Gateway facility you will be automatically connected to "GTC-Wireless", you do not need to connect to any other wireless network and you do not have to login again after running through the XpressConnect wizard.
What happens if I change my password?
If you change your Gateway password the next time your device tries to access the wireless network you will receive a prompt asking you for your new password. The prompt will look something like this, it will depend on your computer’s operating system…
Enter your new password and click ok. Your new password will be saved and your device will begin connecting automatically again.