What is a 1098-T?
The 1098-T form reports the amount of tuition and related fees that Gateway Technical College billed you during the previous calendar year. The purpose of the form is to determine if you are eligible for any tax incentives including the Hope Scholarship Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit.
When will I receive a 1098-T?
- 1098-T forms will be available by January 31 for eligible students. Students can view and print their 1098-T through WebAdvisor. An email notification will be sent to the student’s Gateway email when the 1098-Ts are available.
- Students no longer enrolled at Gateway can retrieve their 1098-T forms via WebAdvisor. If you do not have access, please call Student Accounts at 262-564-2926. When requesting a copy of your 1098-T, be prepared to give your name, social security number or student identification number, current address and phone number. The request line is checked on a daily basis as of January 31. A copy of your 1098-T will be mailed to the address on file for each request within 7 to 10 working days. No copy will be faxed or emailed due to identity security regulations.
This phone line is not a help line and cannot provide information on how to claim or figure the educational tax credit. For information and questions about the educational tax credit IRS Pub 970 and t ax b enefits for e ducation visit www.irs.gov or contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.
Why didn't I receive a 1098-T?
You may not receive a 1098-T if:
- You enrolled for the spring term in November. In this case, these tuition charges would have appeared on your previous 1098-T.
- You do not have a valid SSN or address on file. In this case, update your personal information via WebAdvisor or at any Student Services Center and then contact Student Accounts Office to have a 1098-T generated.
- You were only enrolled in Adult Continuing Education, remedial or pre-college courses.
I didn’t pay the amount listed on the 1098-T; I was funded by an agency or my employer. Why did I get this form?
This form is sent to ALL student that have taken post-secondary classes who had payments made to their account during the prior calendar year. This would include any financial aid or scholarships applied, and any fees covered by an agency or employer. The student can claim only the part actually paid by the student.
Why does my 1098-T say $ 0.00 amount when I attended Gateway last calendar year?
If you attended a post-secondary class entirely funded by a company, there would be $0.00 listed as payment because you did not make any actual payment or may have attended a class for which you paid for in the prior calendar year for an upcoming semester.
I don’t agree with amount on my 1098-T.
The amount on the form includes only payments toward eligible fees. Eligible fees do not include book charges, Adult Continuing Education class fees, remedial classes, pre-college classes, application fee, testing fee or other miscellaneous fees.
The amount may include financial aid grants, scholarships, payments by an agency, employer, veterans p ost 9/11 educational payments or self-paid funds. If details are necessary, the student should call Student Accounts at 262-564-2926. A written reply will be sent to the student within 7 to 10 working days.
I need my 10 98-T immediately, I can’t wait.
Students will be able to view and print their 1098-T via WebAdvisor under Financial Information after January 31.
Can you fax or email me my 1098-T?
We cannot fax or email 1098-Ts because of identity security regulations.
I need help determining what I can claim on my taxes, can you help?
Gateway does not offer tax advice. You should seek assistance from a tax professional.
What about payments I made in older calendar years?
The payment received for qualified tuition & related expenses box (1) amount shows payments made in the calendar year which just ended. Payments made prior to that year will not be included in the Box 1 amount. They were reported on last year’s 1098-T.