Toll Free: 1-800-247-7122
TTY: (262) 741-8492
Burlington Campus: (262) 767-5200
Elkhorn Campus: (262) 741-8200
Kenosha Campus: (262) 564-2200
Racine Campus: (262) 619-6200
Campus Closings: 1-800-353-3152
Gateway’s Step UP program provides direct assistance to students who are on their way to becoming self-sufficient by reducing barriers to employment and aiding students in obtaining marketable career skills and secure employment.
Gateway Technical College provides resources to students, assisting them in pursuing their educational, career and employment goals.
The Step UP program is open to individuals, male or female, who have worked in the home for a number of years providing unpaid household services for family members; and who meets the following additional criteria:
Is either unemployed or underemployed, and
- has been dependent on the income of another household member but is no longer supported by such income, OR
- has been on public assistance but is no longer eligible for such assistance or may be terminated from such assistance, OR
- is the parent of one or more minor children supported by public assistance or spousal support but whose children are 16 to 18 years old.
Resources available through the Step Up program:
Gateway will guide you through six steps to academic and career success, or provide you with the direction to seek the proper community resource.
- Develop education and employment plan and goals
- Provide education and occupation information
- Provide information on Gateway’s non-traditional career programs
- Provide information on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) programs
Case management services
- Provide referral you to college services
- Refer students to community-based services
- Professional networking opportunities
- Provide peer support
- Arrange guest speakers
- Cover letter and resume writing assistance
- Interviewing skills workshops
- Provide employment and labor market information
- Job search assistance