Contact Us

Toll Free: 1-800-247-7122
TTY: (262) 741-8492
Burlington Campus: (262) 767-5200
Elkhorn Campus: (262) 741-8200
Kenosha Campus: (262) 564-2200
Racine Campus: (262) 619-6200
Campus Closings: 1-800-353-3152
Faculty/Staff Directory

A-Z List of Pages

(5) | 1 (2) | 2 (1) | 9 (2) | A (53) | B (36) | C (76) | D (18) | E (27) | F (25) | G (38) | H (34) | I (37) | J (3) | K (6) | L (19) | M (38) | N (21) | O (10) | P (51) | R (17) | S (64) | T (36) | U (9) | V (3) | W (22) | Y (4)

Academic Development

Whether you need to finish your high school education, learn or improve your English, take a refresher class or obtain support for your academic journey, Gateway Technical College is here to help. We have expert instructors that work with you in whatever area you need the most support.

The following support programs are available for students: GED/HSED, English Language Learners (ELL), Adult Basic EducationAdult High School.

To take advantage of one these programs or use one of Gateway’s Adult Learning Centers, students must register for an orientation. During the orientation, students will take an assessment test to determine their skill level. They will also learn about the several programs Gateway has to offer. All programs are free for Wisconsin residents. 

GED & HSED (High School Equivalency Diploma)

Gateway provides the opportunity for adults who have yet to earn a high school diploma to study for the GED or HSED in the Adult Learning Center. Workshops, various computer programs, books, videos and tutoring are available in preparation for both programs.

All tests will be administered on a computer unless special accommodations are needed. Testing fees will be collected at the time of registration.

Gateway supports community needs by establishing strategic partnerships focusing on education and workforce preparation. Both tests are also offered throughout the Gateway Technical College district including county jails and correctional facilities.

General Education Development (GED) test

The GED is currently offered in English, Spanish and French and consists of five tests which are reading, writing, math, social studies and science. Beginning January 1, 2014, a new GED exam will be administered. The exam will be updated to reflect the skills of current high school seniors. Scores earned prior to January 1, 2014 will not carry over to the new test.

High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED)

The HSED consists of the five GED tests, plus three more requirements of health, civics and career awareness/employability skills. Students can also earn their HSED through alternative options including earning high school or post-secondary credits, taking a Gateway program or starting with a foreign diploma.

Steps to completion

  1. Eligibility
    To be eligible for the GED or HSED testing you must be 18 ½ years or older or your ninth grade class must have graduated from high school. You must be a Wisconsin resident and have completed the GED orientation.
  2. Have your official High School transcripts sent to Gateway
    There are several available options to earn a GED, HSED or high school diploma. Have your high school transcripts sent directly to Gateway so we can help you determine which option is best for you. If you have earned college credit that coursework may apply so those transcripts should be sent to Gateway as well.
  3. Register for orientation
    An orientation must be taken before you can participate in any support services or take the GED or HSED. This orientation is free to Wisconsin residents.
  4. Preparation and instruction
    Practice tests, evaluations and tutoring are available at any Adult Basic Education Center on each campus. You can also purchase a study guide in the campus bookstores. Non-resident tuition will be assessed for any out of state students. Please contact the Adult Basic Education Center of your choice for more information.
  5. Testing
    Please register for testing in advance. All applicable fees must be paid at the time of testing. Seating is limited so early registration is encouraged. Registration will not be accepted later then the Thursday prior to desired testing date.
  6. Registration is accepted in person at the closest campus or by mail. Phone registration is available to those who pay with a credit card (Visa, American Express or MasterCard only) or through a third-party authorization on file with the Student Accounts Office.

    To schedule by phone, call:

    • Burlington – (262)767-5300
    • Elkhorn – (262)741-8300
    • Kenosha – (262)564-2300
    • Racine – (262)619-6300

    Candidates are required to pay a $15 DPI credential fee when making an appointment for the first test. Students who complete the GED and then take the HSED will be required to pay an additional credential fee.

    Testing and credential fees are non-refundable. If you are unable to test at your scheduled time, please reschedule prior to test day. Those who do not reschedule their testing date will lose their testing fees and will be required to repay fees when scheduling another testing date.

    Students who do not pass the GED or HSED test are required to wait 30 days before retesting. Testing fees must be paid for any required retesting. Testing accommodations are available for students with a documented disability.

  7. Completion
    To pass each GED tests you must score a minimum of 410 on each individual test and a total standard score of at least 2250.

    The HSED may be completed through several options including testing. To earn the HSED you must pass the five GED tests as well as fulfill the health and civics requirements and successfully complete the Career Awareness/Employability Skills course.

    The health requirement can be met if you earned a ½ credit of health in seventh through 12th grade or by passing the DPI health test with a score of 55 or higher. Civics can be earned if you earned three Social Studies credits in freshmen through senior year in high school (once course must be United States Civics or American Government) , through successful completion of the HSED Civics course at Gateway or by earning a score of 50 or higher on the DPI Civics exam.

    To receive credit for high school civics courses, have your official high school transcripts sent directly to Gateway. We will evaluate your transcripts for verification of course completion.

    The HSED can also be completed through the attainment of high school credits, 24 post-secondary credits or foreign diploma assessment.